Allen (Pioneer Memorial) Cemetery, Washington County, Nebraska


The Pioneer Memorial Cemetery or Allen Cemetery was founded by John M. and Mary Cammerer Allen. It is located in Fort Calhoun Township on land that was part of their claim upon their arrival in Washington County from Illinois in 1856. It is believed that the death of one of their children marked the beginning of this family cemetery. Friends and neighbors, also pioneers of the county, were buried there as well in the early days.

On this location one can faintly see the ruts left by the wagons of the pioneers who traveled across the county. It is difficult to determine just what group is largely responsible for leaving these ruts. It is likely that it was a popular route for many persons for a variety of reasons. One can only speculate who traveled here and what their reason may have been. Regardless of their origin, these impressions of time in this serene resting place remain a monument to the early pioneers of Washington County.

There are 50 graves in this cemetery according to this sites burial records.


Merri Vinton
26792 MarTee Beach Rd.
Battle Lake, MN 56515


  • Search WCGS Cemetery Records
  • Visit this cemetery on nebraskagravesthones.org
  • Visit this cemetery on findagrave.com

  • From the intersection of CR-34 (Lakeland) and Highway 133, Allen (Pioneer Memorial) Cemetery is approximately 2 miles east, then 0.2 miles south on CR-37. It will be on the east side of the road on the corner of the intersection of CR-37 and CR-P37.


    Fort Calhoun Township: Intersection of County Roads P37 and 37

    Google Cemetery Map: