Shipley Cemetery, Washington County, Nebraska


The Shipley Cemetery is located on the county line just east of the Nashville area in the very southern part of the county. The land was originally that of William Shipley's and was started as a family burial plot. The earliest date on record was October of 1861 when a grandson of William Shipley died. In January, 1893 a Shipley Cemetery Association was formed and James L. Shipley, son of William, deeded the cemetery to the public.

Several years later the cemetery grew into deterioration through vandalism, neglect, and the destruction of a bulldozer going through the cemetery in 1974 "clearing the brush and rubbish out". Many of the stones were taken by vandals. Some just plain disappeared.

Late in 1979, a group of people organized and started to clean and restore the cemetery. Brush and trees were again cleared way and the few remaining stones reset. The Shipley Cemetery Historical Association, Inc. was formed and is now working to keep the site in good condition.

Washington County Nebraska History, 1980

There are 35 graves in this cemetery according to this sites burial records.


Ron Cronkhite
13212 North 36th St.
Omaha, NE 68112
402-455-1127


  • Search WCGS Cemetery Records


  • Fort Calhoun Township: On County Road 49 at Washington County Line