Obituary Record

Oscar Anderson
Died on 1/3/1971


Enterprise 4 Jan 1971

Anderson Is Victim Of Sunday Snow Storm

(Photo of vehicle in snowbank)

Died While Driving Car In Blizzard

Oscar Anderson, of Arlington, died during the Sunday, January 3rd blizzard. Mr. Anderson died in his auto while he was driving on highway 30 approximately five miles east of Arlington.

Mr. Anderson, 63, was reportedly proceeding west toward Arlington on Highway 30. Another car, being driven by a student from Kearney state College, was stuck. The Anderson auto also became stuck in the deep blowing snow. The two helped each other and the two managed to get their cars moving again.

The Kearney student reported that he was following Mr. Andersonís car when he watched it turn off into a shallow snow filled ditch. The student stopped and could see that Mr. Anderson had a heart attack. The student went for help in Arlington but found the roads too bad for a Rescue Unit to return to the scene.

Highway road grading equipment could not reach the scene because of blowing snow making visibility zero. A fifteen foot deep drift, nearly four blocks long, blocked off the approach to Mr. Andersonís auto from Arlington. Other smaller but more numerous drifts stopped rescue attempts from Blair.

As daylight came Monday morning Blair policeman Robert Blundt made it to the scene and found Mr. Anderson dead. High-wheel four-wheel drive equipment was used to bring the body to Blair as the roads were still impassable to Arlington.

State rotary snow plows were used to open a path through the big drift.

Mr. Anderson was employed at the Consolidated Blenders plant in Arlington. He lived with his wife in a mobile home in Arlington.

Enterprise 1/1/71

Oscar Anderson Was Victim of Sundayís Snow

Services for Oscar Anderson, of Arlington, will be held on Thursday, January 7th at the Arlington Community Church. Mr. Anderson died during the Sunday snow storm while traveling Highway 30.

Washington County Attorney Roy I. Anderson, investigated the death and has officially listed it as death due to a heart attack. Mr. Andersonís car went into a snow filled ditch during the Sunday blizzard.

The 2 p.m. Thursday services will be conducted by Rev. Leo Zillig with burial in the Arlington Cemetery. Reckmeyer Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Anderson was 63 at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife Carol Evelyn. There are two surviving sons and three daughters. The sons are: Gary of Cedar Bluffs and Thomas of Fremont. The daughters are Mrs. Delbert (Mary) Hively of Fremont; Mrs. James (Karen) Keenan of Arlington and Marjorie Sue of Arlington.

There are two surviving brothers. They are Paul of Fullerton and Carol of Newman Grove.

There are five surviving sisters. They are Mrs. Esther Peterson of Albion; Mrs. Clarence (Ellen) Jacobson of Albion; Mrs. Eli (Elsie) Belgum of Albion; Mrs. Worthey (Vera) Long of St. Edward and Mrs. Alvin (Anna) Anderson of Arvada, Colorado. There are also seven grandchildren.

~~~ Obituary courtesy of the Washington County Genealogical Society. Newspaper clippings on file in the Blair Public Library at Blair, Nebraska.~~~