Obituary Record

Robert Benjamin Beales
Died on 12/8/1921
Buried in Fort Calhoun Cemetery

#1-15 Dec., 1921 - The Tribune - Robert Benjamin Beales


Pioneer Robert Beales, who was buried near his father, mother, and veteran brother, the late Austin Beales, was a son of the very first mayor of the city of Ft. Calhoun, Mayor Beales’ name still remaining on deeds and other papers from the early pioneer days to the present.

When the terrible winter of 1856 came the Beales family lived in a log cabin right in front of the present Ft. Calhoun Catholic church from where the father, W. B. Beales and two sons went south with a drove of cattle to save them from starvation, Mother Beales and the two small daughters staying alone in the cabin where Mother Beales told this writer that her only cow that she had brought into the summer kitchen on the side of the house was found dead and frozen on her feet one morning.

When we came to Ft. Calhoun Robert lived on the block (now) east Madison street where Captain Contal, drum major at the old fort had lived 44 years previous. Robert afterwards farmed southwest of the now called Green school house. One bitter cold night years ago when the roads were badly blocked with snow Dr. Pettingill had me go with him to visit a number of diphtheria patients, the southwest end of our trip ending at the Robert Beales farm, who had two girls sick with the disease, that soon recovered, so that we have been intimate for over 50 years, and his friendship has been very dear to us.

We did not know of his death before his nephew, Park Beales, came to tell me they had buried his uncle in our Ft. Calhoun, Nebr. cemetery on December 11, 1921. W. H. Woods

#2-The Enterprise 16 December 1921

Robert Benjamin Beales Passes Away

Robert Benjamin Beales was born at Cambridge, England, June 11, 1848 and died in his home in Blair, Nebraska, December 8, 1921, aged 75 years 5 months and 27 days.

His parents came to America when the deceased was about one year old. The family settled in Lock Port, Ill where they lived until 1856 then came to Fort Calhoun, Nebraska, making his home in Washington County since that date, then came to Blair in 1909.

Mr. Beales enlisted in the 2nd Nebraska Calvary, Co A on October 23, 1862 and was mustered out September 21, 1863, serving as a scout and remaining in the state. Soon after he was discharged his father, his brother and himself freighted from Omaha to Denver Colorado with ox teams for seven summers.

On July 29, 1871 he and Miss Priscilla F. Hall were married Omaha, Nebraska. They settled on a farm near his parents southwest of Fort Calhoun. Seven children were born to this union, five girls and two boys. Two of the girls died in infancy.

Those living are Mrs. George McDonald (Jesse May), Mrs. William McDonald (Cora), Austin Beales of Blair, William B. of Irvington, Mrs. Fred Gates (Mary Elizabeth) of South Omaha, these and one sister, Mrs. Sam Haller of Blair, 18 grandchildren, one great grandchild, and many friends are left to mourn him.

Mrs. Beales died June 7, 1901. Mr. Beales was married for the second time March 13, 1907. His bride was Mrs. Hanna McBride. He was left alone again January 3, 1920 when his second wife passed away.

It is said of Mr. Beales that he was a great man for his family and his home. He was baptized in the Church of England in his childhood.

He had not been very well for several months but was really sick about 5 weeks. He spoke often to his children expressing himself as ready to go, that he would soon be with loved ones on the other side. He was very grateful that his children were with and was always happy for their fellowship. He often spoke of his neighbors, naming them many times. He was of a happy, hopeful, disposition, affectionate and kind, and had a good word for and to everybody.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon from the Methodist Church and interment was in the Blair Cemetery.

~~~ Obituary courtesy of the Washington County Genealogical Society. Newspaper clippings on file in the Blair Public Library at Blair, Nebraska.~~~

Printed in the Tribune on 12/15/1921