Obituary Record

Kenneth Albert (U.S. Navy) Curtis
Died on 10/21/1918


Tribune 7 Nov 1918

Following an illness of considerable duration, Kenneth A. Curtis, son of Dr. and Mrs. J. M. Curtis of Tecumseh, died at a hospital at the Great Lakes naval training station, near Chicago, about 10 o’clock, P.M., October 21, 1918. He was a victim of pneumonia following influenza. Mr. Curtis’ age was 21 years, 11 months and 2 days.

Kenneth Albert Curtis was born at Alma Park county, Colo., November 19, 1896, but he was reared at Fort Calhoun, Neb. The family lived at Fort Calhoun for 14 years previous to coming to Tecumseh, which was in March, 1914. Kenneth secured his education at Fort Calhoun, completing the course in the public schools. On January 25 he went to Omaha and enlisted in the United States navy, desiring to be of service to his country in the present great war. He was not called for service until May 9, though he passed his examinations with credit. With other Johnson county boys Mr. Curtis went to the Great Lakes training station in May, and we have no doubt but what he would have made an ideal sailor and would have been of great service to the nation, had his life been spared. He was stricken with sickness on September 17, and, for a time his condition was considered critical. A little later there seemed to be an improvement until last week when he began failing rapidly. Word was wired to his father being in the medical service of the army there. Dr. and Mrs. Curtis came east at once, the doctor going to the bedside of the son and Mrs. Curtis stopping for a day or two here and then proceeding to Chicago. Despite every effort the boy’s life could not be saved, and he passed away as above stated. Kenneth was a fine young man, and, during the time he resided in Tecumseh, he made many warm friends, who were deeply concerned during the many days of his illness and shocked to learn of his death. Besides the father and mother he is survived by a brother, Russell F. Curtis, also in the army service and who is stationed at Fort Worden, Fort Townsend, Wash. And who is possibly on his way to France at this time, and a sister, Miss Dorothy M. Curtis, who is at home. The parents, brother and sister have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement.

The remains accompanied by Dr. and Mrs. Curtis, reached Tecumseh at 11:48 o’clock, Wednesday forenoon, the Tecumseh home guard company and other friends of the family meeting them at the station. The funeral was held at the home at 2 o’clock, Thursday afternoon, and owing to the request of the board of health, that people do not congregate at this time those persons who attended remained on the law. Rev. R. B. Stevens had charge of the service, which was impressive, and there was a profusion of flowers. The home guard company appeared in column and had charge of the burial service, the interment being made in the Tecumseh cemetery. The Tecumseh Military Band, of which Mr. Curtis was a member, headed the cortege as it proceeded to the cemetery. – Tecumseh Chieftain.

Kenneth was not only the grandson of the well known Veteran Curtis, of Blair, but was a neighbor next door for a long time before going to Tecumseh and his reward is one to be proud of. His brother Russell here spoken of was gassed in France and lay for a long time in an English hospital before being sent back to America and made one visit here before returning to field duty.

W. H. Woods

Ft. Calhoun Chronicle 31 Oct 1918

Kenneth Curtis, who resided in Calhoun for fifteen years, died at the Great Lakes naval training station Oct. 21, following an illness of influenza and pneumonia. He enlisted in the navy Jan. 25, but was not called to service until May 9. His father, Dr. J. M. Curtis, who is in the medical service of the army, and stationed at Logan, Utah, went with Mrs. Curtis to their son’s bedside on receipt of news of his serious condition, and accompanied the body to Tecumseh, where the funeral, conducted by the home guards, was held. Kenneth, who was 21 years, 11 months and 2 days old, was a fine young man and his untimely death is mourned by this community where he grew to manhood. Besides his parents he is survived by his sister, Miss Dorothy, and brother Russell, who is probably now in France with the American army, after fighting for two years with the Canadian army. The sympathy of this community is extended to the bereaved family in their great loss.

~~~ Obituary courtesy of the Washington County Genealogical Society. Newspaper clippings on file in the Blair Public Library at Blair, Nebraska.~~~

Printed in the Tribune on 11/7/1918