Obituary Record

Clifford 1st (Sgt Army) Moore
Died on 11/18/1944
Buried in Blair Cemetery

#1-Enterprise 14 June 1945

Sgt. Clifford Moore Praised By Company Officer

The following letter, received by Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore relative to their son, Sgt. Clifford Moore, who was killed in action a few months ago is very comforting to them and gives them a feeling of pride and satisfaction. While it does not take away the pangs of sorrow for the loss of their son, it does help to alleviate the pain and gives them great pride in his fine record.

The letter follows:

“Wakeman Gen. Hospital, “Camp Atterbury, Ind., “June 6, 1945.

“Dear Mrs. Moore:--

“You don’t know me but I should like to introduce myself to you. I was an officer in Co. K. 314th Infantry, from the 22nd of July until the 22nd of October. I was in company headquarters all but two days, and in those three months, I was with your son every day. I came to know him very well, and it was with deep regret that I learned of your loss when I got back a letter I had written him from a hospital in Italy. I wrote to the Company Clerk and asked for Sgt. Moore’s wife’s address, but he did not have it on file. Therefore I am writing to you, and I hope you will send along my condolences to the Sergeant’s wife.

“Both you ladies have much reason to be proud of 1st Sgt. Moore. At the time I was wounded, I had been Company Commander for three weeks and Sgt. Moore was a great help to me. He was my right-hand man, doing everything well, and acting like a real soldier all the time. In battle, a man’s real character comes out, and Sgt. Moore was always known for his smile and songs, even when the going was toughest.

“Here is something I probably shouldn’t write you, but I know you’ll be proud to hear it: In our battalion there were four First Sergeants who were supposed to be up front with their companies, helping their company commanders. Everyone of them, BUT ONE, was seldom seen up front. They stayed in the rear, with the motor pool, always finding an excuse to stay back there where it was lot safer. The ONLY one who stayed with his company was Sgt. Moore. He walked every mile with us across France, never finding an excuse to ride when we walked. Even when the old First Sergeant came back from the hospital, Sgt. Moore stayed with me. Finally, the other Sergeant went to the rear, but Sgt. Moore stayed on, acting as my executive officer, since the company was short of officers at the time. Sgt. Moore was just doing his job, but he was a credit to his family, his country and the army.

“I was wounded by a shell fragment which came into our command post. Sgt. Moore took immediate charge of everything. He ran the company until an officer could come back to take my place.

At the same time, Sgt. Moore bandaged my leg and made me comfortable until the medical men came for me. Before I left, I made him a present of my own pistol, which I had carried from the States.

“I know how great your sorrow must be, but I hope that pride in your son will help you carry on with a little less pain. It is because of men like Sgt. Moore that our army has brought peace to Europe at last.

“If I am ever in Nebraska, I hope to be able to come to Blair to pay you a visit.

“Yours very sincerely, “John Dooley.” #2-News Article


Sgt. Clifford Moore Killed In France

Son Of Mr. And Mrs. Sam Moore Had Also Served In The Pacific

Had Volunteered For European Duty

Word reached Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore early this week of the death of their son, 1st Sgt. Clifford Leslie Moore who, according to the news, had lost his life in the service in France. Deceased was born May 23rd, 1921, in Blair where he attended the Blair School. In February of 1939, he with his school chum, William Allen, enlisted in the army reporting for foreign duty. They were immediately sent to the Hawaiian Islands. Clifford was stationed at Schofield’s Barracks near Pearl Harbor and he was at this camp at the time of the Jap attack on that place.

In all, he spent nearly three years on that island. He returned home for his first furlough in March, 1943, and while in Blair he was married to Miss Ruby Piercy of Nodaway, Iowa. He and his wife returned to a camp in California where they remained for a year.

In the latter part of 1943, after having been permitted to remain in the States, he volunteered to go back for active duty and he was somewhere in France when he met his death.

He leaves to mourn his tragic end, his wife and daughter, Judy Jo; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Moore; one sister; his grandmother, Mrs. Hugh Moore, and his grandfather, Charles Gilliam, and many relatives and friends.

#3-Pilot Tribune 7 Dec 1944


Sgt. Moore Dies Overseas

Volunteer For Active Duty Was Killed In Action November 18

1st Sgt. Clifford L. Moore, 23, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore of Blair, died in action in France on Nov. 18, according to word received Saturday from the war department.

Overseas at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, Sgt. Moore was entitled to home duty but chose to volunteer for additional overseas service. He had been somewhere in France for several weeks.

Sgt. Moore, the only son of the Sam Moores, was born east of Blair on May 23, 1921. He spent his entire life in Blair and vicinity, attending Blair schools. On April 21, 1935, he was baptized in the Christian church.

With a schoolboy chum, Bill Allen of Blair, Sgt. Moore enlisted in the army in February, 1939, reporting for foreign duty. Both boys were sent immediately to the Hawaiian Islands, and Sgt. Moore was stationed at Scoffield Barracks near Pearl Harbor. He was at this camp at the time of the first Jap atrocity, spending in all nearly three years on the islands.

Sgt. Moore returned home for his first furlough in March, 1943. He was married on March 17 to Ruby Piercy of Nodaway, Ia. Accompanied by his wife, he went to a California camp for a year’s service, but volunteered for further active duty late in 1943.

Left to mourn Sgt. Moore are his wife and daughter, Judy Jo; the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore; a sister, Mrs. Doreathea (Rolland) Stricklett; a niece, Marilyn Stricklett; grandmother, Mrs. Hugh Moore; grandfather, Charles Gilliam, all of Blair. He also leaves a host of friends.

#4-Pilot Tribune 6 May 1948

War Hero’s Body Home

Body Of 1st Sgt. Clifford Moore Is Now Enroute Home From France

Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore received word this week from the war Department that the body of their son, First Sgt. Clifford L. Moore, is enroute home.

Sgt. Moore met his death at Epinal, France, Nov. 18, 1944, and was buried in an American military cemetery there.

The Moores will be notified when their son’s body arrives in the United States enroute to Blair.

#5-Pilot Tribune 3 June 1948


Sgt. Moore Reburial will be on Friday

Methodist Rites Planned; Youth Was Killed In France Late In 1944

The body of First Sgt. Clifford L. Moore came home to Blair last night.

Brought here via train under military escort, it was met at the railroad station and removed to the Campbell Mortuary.

Sgt. Moore, 23, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam A. Moore, was killed in action in November, 1944, near Epinal, France. He is the first of the dead of World War II to be brought back to Blair.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at First Methodist Church, the Rev. Homer L. McKinley of the Christian Church officiating. Final interment is to take place in Blair Cemetery. There will be military rites, including the firing of an honor volley at the graveside.

Sgt. Moore was born here May 23, 1921. In 1939 he enlisted in the Army and was sent to Hawaii. Being overseas when Pearl Harbor was attacked, he was entitled to home duty afterwards, but instead he volunteered for added overseas service. It was in this capacity, after having been sent to the European Theater of Operations, that he met his death.

Survivors besides the parents are Sgt. Moore’s young daughter, Judy Jo, who now lives in Iowa; a sister, Mrs. Rolland Stricklett (Betty) of Blair; a grandmother, Mrs. Mary Moore; and a grandfather Charles Gilliam.

#6-10 June, 1948 - The Enterprise - Sgt. Clifford Moore - WWII Veteran


Impressive military funeral services were held last Friday afternoon at the Blair Cemetery for the body of First Sgt. Clifford L. Moore. Sgt. Moore, 23, was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam A. Moore, who live near Blair. He was the first dead of World War II to be returned to Blair.

The local VFW post was in charge of the services which included the firing of a graveside volley. Also present were the American Legion color bearers and guard.

In the top picture the body of Sgt. Moore is borne to its final resting place. Pallbearers include Bud Miller, Marion Miller, Willis Mundorf, Ted Therkelsen and Lowell Thompson. Standing on the left is Chaplain C. C. Madsen, W. J. Koopman, and the United States Army Sergeant who accompanied the body to Blair.

In the lower picture the color bearers and members of firing squad present arms as final taps are sounded for Sgt. Moore. In the front rank left to right are Leslie Offen, Bill Blatter, Everet Lamb, Bob Worley, Ray Thompson, Jens Hansen, John Jensen, Gus Rolland, Glenn Nicholson, John Burcham, Earl Long and Tim Engelke.


Gave His Life In France In Service Of His Country

Sgt. Clifford Moore, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Moore of this city was born in Blair on May 23, 1921. He was killed in action in France Nov. 18, 1944 when serving his country with 7th army, 79th division.

His body landed in Blair June 2nd under Military escort and was taken immediately to the Campbell Mortuary where it was held in State until the time of the funeral which was last Friday afternoon at 2 p.m.

The funeral was a military funeral and the patriotic organization turned out showing due respect to their soldier brother.

At the age of 14 - on Apr. 21, 1935 - he became a member of the Christian church. He spent his school days and entire life here in Blair up until the time he enlisted in the service in Feb. of 1939. On Mar. 17, 1943 he was married to Ruby Piercy of Nodaway, Iowa and to this union one daughter, Judy Jo, was born.

He leaves to mourn his passing his daughter, Judy, his parents Mr. and Mrs. Moore, one sister Dorothea (Mrs. Rolland Stricklett) one niece, Marylin Stricklett, his grandfather, Mr. Chas. Gilliam, a host of other relatives and friends.

Note: Buried in Blair Cemetery, Blk 109 Lot 6 Gr 5; Find a Grave # 55699778.

~~~ Obituary courtesy of the Washington County Genealogical Society. Newspaper clippings on file in the Blair Public Library at Blair, Nebraska.~~~