Obituary Record

Samuel Malone
Died on 5/14/1903
Buried in Blair Cemetery

#1-Republican 21 May 1903


Samuel Malone, whose death occurred in this city last Thursday, was born in Virginia in 1844 and his age was 59 years, 10 months and 25 days. He served in the Union army and lost one leg as the result of a wound. The family has resided in this city 22 years and he was always a peaceful and kind hearted neighbor and citizen who will be missed by a large circle of relatives and friends. The deceased leaves a wife and two daughters to mourn the loss of a good father. The funeral was from the residence last Saturday afternoon, was conducted by the G.A.R. and service by Rev. J. L. Vallow.

#2-21 May, 1903 - Blair Courier - Samuel Malone - Veteran

After an illness of several months’ duration, Samuel Malone passed away last Thursday afternoon, and was buried Saturday at 2 o’clock, Rev. J. L. Vallow officiating. Deceased was an old soldier, and the local G.A.R. post attended the funeral in a body. He leaves a wife and several children besides many friends to mourn his death.

#3-21 May, 1903 - The Pilot - Samuel S. Malone

Samuel S. Malone was born June 19, 1843 in Virginia; died in Blair, Nebr. May 14,1903, aged 59 years, 10 months and 25 days. On Dec. 27, 1866 he was married to Miss Sindorah Dotson, his now bereaved companion. Of this union was born two children, Mrs. Green and Miss Clara Malone. Mr. Malone entered the military service of his country February 28, 1864, and was mustered out in June of 1865. He lost his limb in battle about three months after going to the front. As in many another case, while in the war was laid the foundation of the disease from which he has since suffered and to which he has last succumbed. He emigrated to Nebraska in 1869 and after five years returned to his native state where he remained for seven years when he again came west and has resided continuously in eastern Nebraska for the last twenty two years. He was reared in a religious home by pious parents. Soon after marriage he joined the Methodist Protestant church of which his wife was then a member. Since coming west, though living in honorable, upright life, he did not transfer his church membership. His sickness lasted for fourteen weeks, during which time he heroically and patiently endured much severe suffering, in all of which, however, he was wonderfully sustained by an ever-increasing trust in a consciously present Savior. As the end drew near, he was impatient to be gone; and on the 14th at about 2:30 p.m., after parting counsels to wife and children, he stepped into the low-swinging chariot and was borne aloft to meet an innumerable throng of beckoning hosts and to dwell with them forever. Obituary courtesy of the Washington County Genealogical Society. Newspaper clippings on file at the Blair Public Library.

Printed in the Blair Republican on 5/21/1903